Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Plex/VM/Games?

Hi! Love your content! I'm looking to buy my first NAS. I saw your videos on storing Steam games on a NAS and I would love to offload my games to an external storage rather than clutter up my main PC, especially since I have multiple devices connected to my Steam account with the same games installed. I also have a separate server machine running plex and a few virtual machines. A gaming virtual machine is planned in the future when I can convert that server machine to esxi (currently using workstation player on windows) and upgrade my cpu's/gpu's. I was thinking of storing my vm files on the NAS as well if possible. My Plex library currently only consumes 3TB, but is growing. My Steam/Emulator library is also 3TB and growing. My vm's currently only take up about 0.5TB and I don't see it getting above 1TB anytime soon. I will shortly be upgrading my server, gaming computer, and network switch to 10gbe, so I'm looking for a 10gbe NAS solution. Is it too ambitious to do all of these on one NAS? Would 5 bays be enough for a RAID 5 to be fast enough to utilize my 10gbe connections?

Thank you so much!
I would consider a new Qnap x88 series NAS with Xeon and GOU built-in, but that could be pricey. They also released their new PCIe GPU friendly models x73A. You also get M.2 slots for fast cache or storage space.And then there us the Qnap x72XT series with a 10GbE connection (72N with PCIe slot for 10GbE) and also NVMe.All of these NAS are good options, now you need to decide how much you can invest in this solution.I hope this helps.