Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Setup RAID on Synplogy DS920?

Hi,

Watched your videos, excellent and much appreciated! I have learned a lot but am new to NAS. I have a pretty basic question but haven't seen it addressed. Currently I have just purchased a Synology DS920 and have 2 8TB Ironwolf NAS disks to install. I bought the 4 bay 920 for expansion at a later time. So setting this up with adding future disks in mind I am thinking of using SHR raid. My question is with SHR, A/ will I be getting total of 8TB like RAID 1 and B/ what happens when I fill up the 8TB disks, can I just add two more to bays 3 and 4 and they will appear as a new volume?

thanks, for your help!
If there are empty drive slots on your Synology NAS, you can install additional drives and add them to an existing storage pool. This article guides you through how to expand an existing storage pool by installing additional drives.Drives can be added to storage pools in the following RAID configurations:JBODRAID 5RAID 6RAID F1A Synology Hybrid RAID (SHR) consisting of at least 2 drivesGo to the Storage Pool page and select the storage pool you want to expand. Click Add Drive from the Action drop-down menu.Select the drive you want to add to the list. Only drives that meet the type and capacity requirements will be listed.Follow the wizard to finish the process.For a multiple-volume storage poolTonguelease follow the steps below to expand the size of a volume:Go to the Volume page and select the volume you want to expand.Note: You can add drives to the corresponding storage pool to expand the storage pool capacity first if needed. Refer to Add Drives to Expand the Storage Pool Capacity for details.Click Configure from the Action drop-down menu.Go to the General tab and enter the new volume size in the Modify allocated size (GB) field, or click the Max button to automatically fill in the maximum allocatable size.Click OK to finish.Replacing with larger drivesYou can replace the drives of a storage pool with ones of a larger size for capacity expansion. Please refer to this article for detailed steps.Also, note that only the following RAID types allow storage expansion by replacing drives:RAID 1RAID 5RAID 6RAID 10RAID F1Synology Hybrid RAID (SHR)I hope this helps.