Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Rec for Rackmount QNAP w/10GBE and Plex?

Thank you for all of the information you continue to share. I currently have a QNAP TS-453Be that I intended to install in a new home construction but I've decided to keep it and get a rack mounted NAS for the new place instead. I will be using the new NAS mainly to run Plex, Home Assistant, and QVRPro with 11 POE cameras (powered by a separate Unifi switch). I'd like 10GBE, and the Unifi switch has SPF+ ports. I was planning on getting a four bay enclosure, mainly to save rackspace, but depending on your recommendation, I'd be open to going to eight bays. I would normally do a RAID 5, but is there an alternative approach you would recommend (separate drive groups for NVR, etc.)? Lots of questions here, but I'm happy to receive whatever info you can share. Cheers!
When choosing a multimedia NAS there are few things to look at. Most importantly you want a graphics chip built inside. All Celeron and Intel core I series does feature this. This allows NAS to convert a video or audio on the fly if receiving device can not play a particular file because of the video format or network/internet speed.You may also consider models with upgradeable RAM or even a PCIe slot (if you decide to add graphics or cache card). But having an option for more RAM will make it a more future proof solution.If all streaming will be done locally, then transcoding is not something you may need. Qnap TS-863XU (463XU) with AMD CPU would do a good job and also feature 10GbE.Up to 1080p transcoding - ts-453du (853du) .4K transcoding: TS-883XU-RPI hope this helps.