Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Is a NAS suitable for computer backups?

I am currently using a 4 TB Seagate external drive to do my computer backup and was considering if I should migrate to a NAS solution in the long term.
So far there are no plans for what this NAS will do beyond computer backups at home.
The thing I find interesting is the redundancy and SHR technology from Synology as my current external drive has been with me for a few years already.
If I do proceed, I will most likely find a way to reuse the 4 TB HDD from the external into the NAS, after copying the backups from it to the NAS.
Yes, the most important functionality NAS can provide is redundancy, drive mixing and remote access and sharing.A two-bay NAS will allow drive mirroring ad more bays will allow options such as SHR - drive mixing.Synology will be the best choice for backing up your data. Other brands do not integrate as well as this. You can set up Windows system backup as well as Time machine backup and create a recovery disk to recover. No need to copy-paste data and reinstall Windows.I hope this helps.