Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Choosing the right NAS solution fro me?

Hi,

I have a small home business and looking to replace my external USB drives with a more reliable backup and filesharing solution. I only have about 400GB of actual business related data on 2 external drives: one contains the original data and the second is a backup.
I also looking into occasional remote access of this data by a part time employee.
I would like as well to use this NAS to hold my about 200 GB personal photo collection which I can access from my personal iMac. I use a Windows 10 laptop for business.
And finally, I would like to use a cloud based backup using my iCloud (500GB) or/and OneDrive account (1TB).
Should I go for a 2 or more bay NAS? I understand that with only a two bay enclosure, I don't get redundancy in case of disk failure. My budget is limited to about 300CAD for the NAS without the disks.
I appreciate your advice.
Cheers!
Choosing Synology would simplify setting up backups and remote access. You can create several users and keep data separate. Sharing files a very easy thanks to quick-connect function. You can also set up cloud sync or cloud backup keeping your data safe.Having a 2-bay NAS would allow you to mirror two disks. But if you go for a 4-bay you can start with a mirror or 3 drives in a RAID5 and expand as your data grows.DS220j and DS420+ would be the cheapest option. These are not very fast options for fast enough for backup and remote file access.I hope this helps.