Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How to choose?

Hello,

First of all, thank you for your site and your help section! I must admit that it's a very practical thing for novices like me!
In fact, I would like to have your opinion on a choice I have to make (if you have other suggestions, I'm open to it...!).

I work with images and video. I'm currently shooting on Mac. My 2011 iMac 27" only offers Thunderbolt 1, USB 2, FireWire 800 and Ethernet GB.

I'm looking for a storage and backup solution that offers me the best possible throughput with my current configuration, but that would also be possible if I were to change computers and thus change to newer and more powerful connections.
I still don't know if I will do Raid 1 or Raid 0 with a backup application for certain folders only.
I'm not interested in sharing files with several machines or remotely.

My choice for the moment is the LaCIE 2big Dock Thunderbolt 3 or the TerraMaster TD2 Thunderbolt 3 Plus.

What do you think about it?

Thanks again for your advice and your time!

With kind regards,
You will need a TB3/TB2 adapter but this will work.There is no difference in which DAS you choose, they will both appear the same way. You may only check support in your country. TerraMaster might not be as supportive as Lacie.Both boxes feature Hardware RAID which is quite handy and speeds up the device.I hope this helps.
If I am not mistaken the Lacie 2Big thunderbolt 3 can not 0nly be a silly connected to your older Mac with thunderbolt 2 (connector to be bought at Apple) but you can access the Lacie also via the Internet additionally the Lacie features both a credit and DS card reader so that should solve your format problem but I’m not an expert just a guy who did same homework as you’re doing