Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Backup QNAP to External Device?

Rob, thank you for your advice late last year. I followed your links on comparing the Synology and QNAP and decided to purchase the QNAP 453D. Since then I have enjoyed your YouTube videos and followed the steps on a variety of topics however I am stuck on Backup.

Despite reviewing several of your videos on HSB3 Hybrid Backup, several others' videos on this application, and other HSB3 articles in general, I am seeking your advice on how to backup to an external device. I currently am using the WD MyCloud EX2 Ultra and experimenting with the QNAP to ensure I have Snapshots, users, etc working but especially the backup process before I move everything across to the QNAP.

I couldn't get the HSB3 Hybrid Backup job > Remote NAS (RTRR Server) or Remote NAS account options to recognise the WD3 device. So I followed the Hybrid Mount process to successfully mount the WD3. However the WD3 device shows on FileStation at the same hierarchical level as DataVol1. When I now use HBS3 the WD3 shows as 'Remote CIFS/SMB Server' under Storage Spaces but the selection of Local NAS as a Destination Storage Space only reveals the DataVol1 set of files.

I tried mapping the WD3 as a network drive using MS File Manager but the HBS3 'Map External Volume' is greyed out.

So I am at a loss where to go from here. Your assistance would be gratefully appreciated if you could give me some options on where to look from here.

Regards, Xaviour
The quickest way to move data from WD to Qnap would be by mounting a drive and copying the data.If you want to keep WD NAS as a backup for your Qnap then rsync will be the best option.I have not made WD version, but you can try t follow this Synology rsync setup. It should be fairly similar.https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=qnap+rsyncI will try to find some time to recorded WD version for this.I hope this helps.