Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

QNAP TS-251D ?

Hi, I love your videos. Very informative. I think I might have purchased an inadequate NAS for my purposes though. I liked the specs of the QNAP TS-251 D at first but now wish I had bought one with a 4 core processor to allow a virtual machine. That being said, I am going to chug along with using it as just a media server with a few network folders. A new NAS with better VM capabilities will come down the road to pair with it. In your video on getting a Plex server to work better, I have already done most of what you suggested before watching the video. Just waiting on my PCIE card to deliver to install my M.2 SSD's. You had also mentioned a seperate GPU card to boost performance. I looked around but did not see anything on the web for a TS-251D. Is there anything out there for the TS-251D?
Qnap TS-251D does support virtual machines, but dual-core CPU would not do much of anything else after half of its hardware power is allocated for VMs. Qnap 53D series with quad-core CPU would do a better job. But if you do consider GPU card then Celeron based models will not support this upgrade. You would need to look at models such as TS-473 /673 /873.Adding SSD cache or even using SSD in one or more of the HDD bays will allow you to install apps that require faster access speeds on this media. Similarly, you can use M.2 slots for storage instead of cache.I hope this helps.