Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Upgrading Synology for Video Editing?

Currently own a Synology DS1512+ and I use it for Plex, and Web development. I'm looking into upgrading it so that its capable of Thunderbolt/10GB Ethernet speeds for video editing. I would then use my DS1512+ as a backup system. Not sure of the total size of the NAS as I would like to expand it as I need it like I did the 1512+. Maybe 40TB? I'm a Mac environment with a Mac Pro 2013 and MacBook Pro. Would probably need the thunderbolt/10GB ethernet adapter. Love Synology and interested to know what model you would recommend? Thanks.
Yes, keeping old NAS for backup purposes is a very good idea. You can automate remote backups and keep your data safe against disasters like flood/fire/theft.DS1621+ / DS1621xs+ would be a best Synology option for video editing. You can add 10GbE card (xs model has one built-in) and connect via Thunderbolt to 10GbE adapter. Or you can use 10GbE switch if you will have more users wanting this faster connection.Otherwise, you can consider TVS-872XT / 672XT which comes with 10GbE and Thunderbolt onboard.Built-in M.2 SSD cache slots will speed up the process when working with existing projects and data. Qnap would even allow you to create a fast NVMe storage space on these SSD instead of cache if you prefer. HDD array can then be used for finished projects only.I hope this helps.