Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

D5-300 vs D5-thunderbolt?

I have jumped into Emby and discovered it loves my wallet. I initally upgraded my HTPC to a I3-9100 on a H370M-Plus MB with 16GB DDR. I have 2 6TB HDD in a RAID O. Windows raid is not working well and I find I am also wanting more space, and RAID 5 or 10. I am torn between the Terramaster D5-300 or the D5-TB. The big issue is initial cost of the D5-TB cost and needing more drives that I would like to be 8TB. my current system works vary well so I assume a DAS not a NAS to save money would work? Can I use the D5-300 and expect the same level or better performance allowing to put more money to HDD's? Can I upgrade HDD's later if I need more space and how easy/difficult would that be? I am not super computer knowledgeable and any information and directional help would help.
Yes, having an Intel i3 setup would be difficult to replace without spending money. Having an external USB or Thunderbolt DAS would speed up your system. It runs its own hardware RAID which means your CPU will have more power to do some heavy lifting regards the multimedia.Having USB will limit your speed to 5Gbit/s whereas Thunderbolt would not bottleneck your hard drive performance. While streaming this might not be important, but it does help when you need fast data transfer speeds.I hope this helps.