Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Which NAS to buy?

I am looking for a system that does many things. I am a photographer that travels throughout the USA and the world. When I am not traveling, I do data processing for family business (5) along with their IT needs. I have asked Synology SEVERAL TIMES to help direct me in the right direction to something that would satisfy my needs and their reply was, talk to a company that sell our NAS. NOT MUCH HELP! So, this is what I am looking for in a NAS system. I can access it remotely and can upload photos while traveling. I currently carry portable hard drives with me; HOWEVER, after being robbed in Frankfurt, a months’ worth of photos went with the thieves. I would like the ability to return where I am staying and upload them to (maybe) a cloud drive that would sync to my NAS. I also use PLEX but this isn’t the highest thing on my list (a nice to have). I currently have 85TB on external hard drives. Most items on these drives are historical documents that are not access often. But I do need to get to them. You know that means going through each drive looking for the information I need. I would be the primary user on the NAS. I have 10 other computers throughout the USA that would need access to the NAS mainly for backup. I have 1GB Fiber internet, Netgear Nighthawk X10 R9000 Router, 2 Netgear JGS524NA switches. I am 100% WINDOWS. What would you recommend for a NAS and what type of drives and RAID. WOW, I have watched VID after VID and I cannot really understand what the base way is to configure RAID. Thank you for your time and help.
Synology indeed would be the easiest system to set up and use. With DS1821+ you could store existing 84TB and more. You can automatically sync your phone with your NAS, or if you offload pictures from your camera on your computer, that folder can also automatically be synced. Synology also offers Presto service which speeds up data transfers when uploading remotely https://www.synology.com/en-uk/dsm/feature/prestoHaving RAID6 (SHR2) would create two drive redundancy, this would keep your data safe. You can also enable snapshot technology to be safe from wanna cry encryption type of viruses or human error and more.I hope this helps.