Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

QNAP TS-453D Upgrades?

I just purchased a TS-453D from Newegg for $429 along with 4x 4TB WD Red Hard Drives. I'd like to know if I can/should upgrade the memory and whether I should add any other extras (M.2 SSDs, PCIe add ons, etc). I won't say money is no object, but I have some room to make some upgrades. Finally, I was thinking RAID 5; is this a good choice for this use?

FYI, I have a 24port unmanaged switch running all the ethernet drops I put in early in 2020. I have additional room on the switch to allow extra connections to the NAS (which will probably sit on a shelf right next to the switch).
Qnap 53D series is a very good choice. It is a multimedia friendly model as well as expandable and upgradeable.Adding more RAM might be useful. With Plex you need somewhere around 4-6GB. Adding cache is also beneficial if you access similar data often and want a faster IOPS when uploading/downloading data.If you have large volumes of data to be transferred often, I would prioritize 10GbE up[grade card above all.I hope this helps.