Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Backup for Synology?

I like the synology but I need backup. Should I use usb external and make it easy, or buy a suitable cage, and build a SAN?
When choosing NAS for backups there are few things to look out for. Any NAS will be able to run a file server and therefore automated can be done on a computer side. But some other NAS will automate backups on the server-side. If you want a snapshot technology you may want a NAS with Celeron based processor. This will protect your NAS against things like ransomware and accidental data deletion. You will also get file version control just like on Dropbox. So if you made some changes in the file by mistake, you can always roll back to a few previous versions. Some models also come with a USB quick copy button at the front. This is a configurable button and will automatically copy data from/to the attached USB drive. This is helpful if you do weekly backups on an external disk. You can also set up remote replication service with another NAS over the internet. Either it is your seconds NAS or friend's NAS, your data will be automatically stored remotely and be encrypted. This protects your data against disasters like flood/fire/thieves.I hope this helps.