Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Home NAS for Phone backup ?

Hello all,

Apologies in advance for my poor language skill I am new to the NAS system I bought Synology 2 bay NAS DiskStation DS220j. I am about to return it after messing with it for almost one week and not able to get anywhere with this unit. It is slow even when I am trying to connect only one device to it. I am thinking to buy QNAP but again i am not sure if QNAP has all that I am looking for or at least close enough.

What I am looking for is:

1- Backup Photos automatically from my phone to NAS ( Internal and SD Card )

2- Backup all videos ( Internal and SD Card )

3- Backup all phone contacts

4- Backup SMS

5- If possible to backup the entire file system of the phone with OS ( not critical) but it will be nice even if I can't restore it

6- if restore of the phone option is not available that ok I understand but it will be very nice to have a backup and restore option ( not critical)

7- automatic sync of all data so if anything added it get uploaded to the NAS system.

8- Backup all of the docs, PFD, Excell, Books, Music, and audiobooks ( No file left behind)

9- Good support by customer service and good form support as i am a technically challenged person sometimes

10- Good speed and not slow as ** device as that is to much when i try to work with a device and it talking the entire day to do one single task

11- Simple to use and plug and play zero efforts from my side.

12- Third-party app support or options to use FTP SYNC or something else to send the data to the NAS if QNAP does not have all that I need form a NAS

13- WhatAPP Full Backup if possible Text and media

I am extremely tired of google, Samsung, dropbox changing rules, and iCloud removing my backups from the cloud so I don't want to lose my data. i have lost data because of Cloud system online and home computers so this the reason I am going NAS system

After playing with DiskStation DS220j for days and spending the entire day wasted in slow speed and stuck in loading page i am seriously considering returning this unit and move away from the Synology products line for good.

I contacted Qnap support and they suggested to me to get QNAP TS-253D or TS-251D and they suggested using Acronis true image mobile backup software
I did a test with a PC and my Tablet and it seems Acronis true image mobile does not do a full disk image it only copied my contacts, calendars, messages, photos, videos only but not the entire phone bit by bit or clone

So now you know my life story what would you guys advise as far QNAP and QNAP APPS and Software I am new so if you guy want me to read some article or manual please provide the link and i will go over them before i buy a QNAP unit

Thanks in advance
Here is what you can not do with a NAS:1- Backup Photos automatically from my phone to NAS ( Internal and SD Card )Photos and videos – not SD card2- Backup all videos ( Internal and SD Card )Via USB3- Backup all phone contactsWith calDav app4- Backup SMS5- If possible to backup the entire file system of the phone with OS ( not critical) but it will be nice even if I can't restore it6- if restore of the phone option is not available that ok I understand but it will be very nice to have a backup and restore option ( not critical)7- automatic sync of all data so if anything added it get uploaded to the NAS system.Photos and Videos8- Backup all of the docs, PFD, Excell, Books, Music, and audiobooks ( No file left behind)From a PC or mapped drive on a phone9- Good support by customer service and good form support as i am a technically challenged person sometimesQnap + Synology10- Good speed and not slow as ** device as that is to much when i try to work with a device and it talking the entire day to do one single taskSynology plus series and Qnap 53Be /53D series11- Simple to use and plug and play zero efforts from my side.Map and use12- Third-party app support or options to use FTP SYNC or something else to send the data to the NAS if QNAP does not have all that I need form a NASComes with internal apps and 3rd party13- WhatAPP Full Backup if possible Text and mediaNot directly. If saved in phone photos then yes. No texts.Synology DS220+ / 720+ / Qnap 253Be , 253D would be my choice .I hope this helps.