Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Choosing a future proof / expandable NAS?

My goal: to digitally convert 50 years plus of video (8, Super 8, Mini DV, photos, negative, birthday cards, special keepsake documents, etc and have the ability to STORE & EDIT this data. I have a Mac (M1 chip) Mini (1Tb internal SSD / 16 Gig RAM). For daily editing tasks I will use a 2 TB SAMSUNG SSD. I’m looking for a NAS that is expandable with RAID capabilities. I have no idea the amount of storage space I will need as I begin Digitizing / Converting my 50 years of content. Your recommendation’s would be most appreciated. PS: I feel that I have a LOT of content to convert. Thank you, Tim Carr
If you have a MAC, you might take advantage of Thunderbolt NAS such as TS-472XT or TS-872XT with 4 drives in RAID5. You can then add more drives to it if needed. You can also connect the expansion unit.Thunderbolt will ensure you have fast data transfer speeds and you do not slow down your entire network with massive data transfer tasks.Qnap will also have great multimedia organizing apps and will also allow you to install third-party apps like Plex.I hope this helps.