Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Clicking noise on server HDD?

Dear team of NASCompares,

I would be happy to get advise concerning my search of a right NAS-HDD.

A few months ago I bought a Synology DS1819+ for private and freelance work. Since I like drives by Western Digital and as I was searching for a fast and reliable drive I chose the WD Gold 8 TB (WD8004FRYZ). Of course silent drives are a nice to have but in these circumstances the other criteria were a more important factor to me. Nevertheless after having installed two of these drives I was disappointed because that loud and hard appearing ticking noise every 5 seconds was disturbing me. Much to my regret I am planning to buy other drives for the unused bays in my NAS. Of course the WD Gold drives using helium (e.g. the 12 TB WD Gold WD121KRYZ) would be still the first choice but I couldn't find reliable information in the internet wether the ticking noise is still to be heard of the WD Gold helium drives.

Can you give me a hint whether the WD Gold helium drives still show the clicking noise?

My second choice would be the WD UltraStar 12 TB drives (HUH721212ALE604). Do you know if these drive have a similar ticking/clicking? Can you tell me whether the DS1819+ needs drives with the pin 3 power down function?

Thanks a lot for your answer in advance.

All the best for 2021 and keep you healthy!

Best regards,
Christian
All data centre type of drives including WD Red Pro and Ultrastar will generate similar noise. They are not made for desktop use. You maybe want to consider a soundproof cabinet to isolate the noise.All drives should work with ds1819+. Its power supply can deal with any drive.There is no pin 3 checks on a NAS that I am aware of. Even if there is, simply use a tape to cover the pin.I hope this helps.