Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Simple setup: Plex + Roon?

Hello there!

I found you from your video "Mac Mini vs NAS for Plex" and am blown away by how much content you have available!

I have a simple use case: my father lives in an area which only has DSL available, so download speeds are around 8Mbps and upload around 0.3Mbps (yes, you read that decimal right). I am looking to update his ancient media server solution (mac mini + JBOD + iTunes + AppleTv) to something more robust. Your video convinced me that NAS is the way to go.

My use case is as follows:

Plex server: He has a few hundred Blu-rays that will be ripped down. Also, conversion/removal of DRM from iTunes-purchased movies so he can watch them when his internet is down. Obviously with his internet speeds he will not be sharing them. He has two AppleTVs and one Roku which will be streaming media, and an antenna for local channels.

Roon server: He is an audiophile that is keen to have Roon. He has mixed media here too: physical CDs that will be ripped down, plus songs purchased from iTunes.

Backup server: Back up his Macbook with Time Machine.

Possible future: Cameras/security.

Environmental issues: His power goes out frequently. He has a backup generator but it takes a minute to kick oon. I'm sure this issue could be ameliorated with an appropriately-sized UPS.

He has ethernet throughout his house and it's either cat5 or cat6.

He probably only has about 4-6TB worth of data now, and growing slowly (maybe 2-3 movies/month). I want to avoid data loss as much as possible but it's not a total disaster if he loses a drive.

I'd like something that is good for both Plex and Roon, yet has a friendly-enough interface that he can use it independently. I see on their site that Roon recommends QNAP TS473, but is also compatible with Synology and Asustor.

I'm trying to future-proof without completely over-engineering a solution, especially for such a simple setup! I'm favoring Synology based on reports that it most closely resembles MacOS, with four bays.

Have a cup of coffee on me for reading this far, and thank you for putting out such clear and interesting content on what can be a dry subject.

Cheers!
Kristin

Roon will be the most demanding app in this case right after the Plex. They recommend core I series models like TVS-672N and TSV-472XT. Models with these CPUs also feature graphics chip allowing some videos to be converted on the fly in case they are not supported by a destination device. Other option would be Xeon based NAS, but if you like Synology, the smallest version is 1621xs+ which is quite expensive.TS-473 has no graphics, people choose these series to install PCIe graphics card. But on its own, it is not a multimedia friendly choice.Other things like backups and Surveillance is not a limiting factor. It is just Plex and roon.I hope this helps.