Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

QuTS Hero and hoping for a solution?

Hi,

I am in need of a NAS'device with the possibility to handle both windows, but mainly mac, for video post production purposes.

I will be handling large files over fileshare protocol AFP and SMB, and I have the possibility to change jumboframes in the environment.
I've been very interested in the ZFS devices, however, I've also been told that you can't expand a RAID group with new disks, hence my questions below.

Will I be able to use QuTS Hero (ZFS) to add a new Raid 1 group to an already created striped pool of RAID10, hence creating more space on the Striped Pool?
RAID 10 is basically 2x RAID 1 striped.

Technically, I can expand the Storage Pool with 2 disks at the time with RAID 1.

Im looking for a disk-solution which can give me 1500 MB/s read on HDD 7200 RPM spindles. (Sequential read on big files, but more interested on spindle throughput)
I am also looking for a capacity of 60 TB and drive resiliance that can withstand at least 1 disk failure and also not be in the danger of Unrecoverable read errors during rebuild.

Im not afraid of using EXT4 solutions, but Im also keen on data intregrity.
My biggest pain point seems to be the QNAP offering on number of bays before I have to extend to a disk enclosure, which I dont want to start with.

Thank you!

// Emil
Yes, Qnap has not figured out easy RAID expansion in HERO OS. But you can always create a separate RAID on the same NAS. Or anything under 200TB QTS will handle.Otherwise, you will need to make sure you plan your solution beforehand, so you do not need to think about expanding later.I hope this helps.