Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS GPU advice?

Hi,
Just came across your site and videos. It's a mine of information, and I'm fairly new to NAS in general.

I'm currently running a self built Windows Server for file backups and plex. It's from 2012 and has started showing its age... computationally it might be ok, or even upgradable, but the 4TB in raid-0 really needs more, and I thought a NAS might be an interesting option.

I work in software, so am quite capable technically. I'm looking for:
1. Backups of several laptops, LOTS of photography (including raw file) backups.
2. Would be really good if I could run Windows VMs with GPU offloading. My main work machine is Linux, and some photography software runs on Windows only, and the issue with VMs tend to be around very limited capabilities to offload discrete GPUs. I could do photo processing work in a VM.
3. Plex or other media server with 4K streaming. Ideally gpu accelerated.

I'm looking at 6 bay machines, and was thinking of Raid 10 to keep things simple. Is there anything in particular that you can recommend? I'd really appreciate any guidane.

Cheers,
Ashic.
Qnap TS-673 would allow you to install a PCIe graphics card that you can use for virtual machines or transcoding. Or if you prefer Intel, then TVS-672N.You can then replace your dropbox and create automated PC backups to a NAS. A dedicated GPU would be a better solution for 4K than anything else with built-in transcoding chips.Qnap is the most feature-rich NAS brand out there and they also are open for easy upgrades and customization.I hope this helps.