Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS solution to improve performance and offload data from server?

We are a small dental office that has about 1TB of patient data. Our dental management software is accessed by 10 workstations directly from the network shared drive on the server. We would like to accomplish the following:

1. Increase storage capacity
2. Improve performance of the data access and write
3. Be able to backup the data locally and securely

My initial thoughts are a NAS with SSD drives configured in RAID1 (2) or RAID10. It has been a long time since I have worked in IT and am rusty on benefits of the different RAID configurations. Initially I have looked into the Synology D920+ solution with 4 SSD drives. Any advice is appreciated!
DS920+ would be a good option, but even if you connect both LAN ports to a switch, the max you will get is 200MB/s total combined bandwidth. SSD inside would be ready to deliver around 1000MB/s. DS1621+ with 2 or 4 drives and a 10GbE card would be a better option. Or you could look at Qnap TS-453D with a 10GbE card (or 2.5Gbit /5GbE if you do not have CAT6a cabling in the office). Even with old CAT5 cables, you could still get 5GbE speeds. Or if you use all 4LAN ports load balancing would distribute bandwidth equally.With Qnap and Synology you can encrypt folders (Qnap allows even volume encryption). USB will enable fast NAS backups.I hope this helps.