Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Nas?

Hi! I think I already have a decent idea what I'm about to get, but as it is my first nas it would be nice if someone can confirm what I'm thinking ;-)
Currently I have a wd blue 2tb hdd full of photos and 1 backup which i keep (offline) at my father-in-law. However as space is now running out I'm looking for a new solution where I would like to keep a more up to date backup close by as well as that the current system is run via a hdd docking station which I believe hasn't got the best speeds.

My idea is to get the qnap 453d together with 3 HDDs of 4tb. Together in a raid5 this would be about 8tb of usable space (and keep 1 slot available for future expansion). I would like to allocate most space for the photos, but also (if possible) have a folder where I could put movies & series to stream to my TV.
I could then use my 2 current HDDs for a dedicated off-site backup.

What my questions still are:
Which HDDs to use in the nas - from what I've read it's either WD red plus or a Seagate ironwolf, do you have any preference?
If I want to stream movies from the nas to the TV, what would be the best solution? Place the nas close to the TV so it can connect via HDMI or would it be better to use something like a Chromecast?

Thanks in advance!
Rogier
Yes, Qnap 53D series is a very popular choice. Mainly thanks to its graphics enabled CPU. Yes, you can also connect via HDMI, but I think it is easier to use a phone as a remote and cast video via Chromecast or DLNA. With a RAID5 you will need CMR type of drives like WD Red plus or Ironwolf. For a home you will unlikely want high-performance drives like PRO, EXOS, HGST, they are quite loud. Even slow spinning drives will be fast enough.You have a good plan for site backup. Qnap will allow simple backups with a touch of the button.I hope this helps.