Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Chepest Synology 2 Bay NAS for Plex transcode?

Hi!

I use Apple TV 4 for multimedia at home, I´m planning to jump from a WD My Cloud (single drive) where I store my movies and series, to a Synology solution, preferably with two bays, to handle backups, photo storage and multimedia server.

As an iOS user, I had it with Apple One, and I want to handle mobile backup by my own, thus, the need to have RAID system. But I´m also interested in stream mkv files to my Apple TV, currently I have to keep a PC on running iTunes to stream MP4 files (I have to convert the files too ).

I want to fork on two 8TB HDD to setup a RAID environment, with the least expensive Synology solution capable to convert on the fly the multimedia. I´m aware of the Synology solutions for DLNA stream at home too, and surely want to use them too.

I had a hard time deciding for a brand, and spent hours watching reviews, where I found yours to be VERY detailed. I decided to adopt Synology, as I felt the Western Digital environment very short for user support. Thank you for your time!
If you are streaming 1080p (FHD) videos then 220+/720+ would be the cheapest options. If you would use the DS Video app instead of Plex then you could even transcode 4K.Either way, you can also use Qnap TS-251D /253D with a built-in automated offline transcoding option. This would avoid the necessary poser for on-demand transcoding.I hope this helps.