Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Need help buying a NAS?

I am Having a little difficulty choosing a NAS. My use cases are for For backups, Business file services, surveillance, downloading hard copy movies to NAS for plex, and scanning personal pictures and photographs. I live in Canada Ontario if that helps you with your search. The file services portion is the most important however we still want a NAS that can consistently do the other things. our budget like listed above is $800 CAD to $1400 CAD $1500 CAD being ABSOLOUTE max. this price is not including the price of the drives as we will slowly build up the # of drives. I really hope you can help just like your videos helped me choose out our first NAS. BTW we need anywhere from 6-8 drive bays
Thanks,

Konrad
Drives and capacity is the first question you need to answer for yourself based on your budget. How many drive bays? What RAID (how safe do you want to be?) After you answer the drive question then you can consider which NAS. Good luck. FYI I just bought great deal on NewEgg.ca a TS 453D 4G for $550. This would fit into you budget.
Thanks so much. We just bought a Blu-ray player and started ripping movies to see how much storage we would need. I was looking at the TS 653D with 12 TB drives and raid 6. We can always get a expansion unit as well. Do you think the TS 653 D can hardware transcode with plex to 4k while running surveillance? The reason I am going with raid 6 over raid 5 is because apparently raid 6 is necessary if you are going with more than 25 tb of storage. This is because more drives can fail while repairing themselves because they are under a lot of stress. Do you guys know if this is true or just BS.