Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Best transcoding NAS for video editing?

Hi all, I need some advice on a NAS solution for our small video studio.

I'm hoping to find a NAS that will automatically transcode 4k xavc-s files down to 1080p H264 files for editing as proxy files in Premiere.

I'd like to create a simple workflow so a team member can remove SD cards from a camera. Plug them into a reader, change their filename (our sony A7Sii cameras do not have a very user-friendly naming system) and then copy the files to the NAS. Probably using an iMac as the workstation.

I would like the NAS to then transcode the files to 1080p, and copy both the 4k files and the 1080p files to an external drive so the videographer can take the external drive back to their studio to edit with + keep a copy of all files on the NAS.

We will have about 4TB of 4k footage for this project. But will need to hold more in the future. Redundant RAID in case of a failed drive is a must, incremental backup in case someone deletes the wrong file would be nice too.
I found this, but doesn't give any info about if the synology can read xavc-s https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowl..._my_device