Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Quiet high capacity HDD?

Dear nas compares team,

I amcurrently looking to expand caoacity on my trusted QNAP TS-869 Pro as my SG Enterprise Capacity 3 TB drives started to fail one by one and their load noise was driving me mad. Partly because the NAS sits under my telly in the living room and is well within hearing distance. The flat is rather small, so another location isn't possible. I changed to first two HDD failures to WD Red 10 TB and am actually quite happy with those. Being a data hoarder I want to go for top capacity and wanted to ask of you have already made noise level comparisons of 14 and 16TB drives. I am looking for the quietest drive. Should they be considerably louder, I would keep on changing failing drives to the WD Red 10 TB HDDs.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

P.S.: I love you youtube channel. Top notch very helpful videos.
I know there have been no new noise comparisons and tests for the drives. Mainly because it seems like manufactures are quite honest about their drive noise levels in their spec sheets. I have listed all available 14 and 16TB drives and compare their spec bellow.But it looks like WD is still making their drive quieter than other brands. WD140EFFX and Purple series seem to be the least quite. In a 16TB range, WD still has not made their drives available. But maybe in near future.I hope this helps.