Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Which NAS to buy?

(11-29-2022, 04:52 PM)ed Wrote: DS920+ (might not be available for much longer) is an excellent choice or Qnap TS-464.
These are the flagship models that have no limitations on apps you can install.
Built-in transcoding chip is great for multimedia and surveillance as weel as any other multimedia.

I hope this helps.

Hi Ed. I hope it doesn't go against the rules me jumping on and asking questions - if so, I can repost in a new thread?
I am a home user and am having a debate on what NAS system to buy. 
I am split between Synology and QNAP - though the former seems (from what I've read around the subject) to be a bit more secure and advanced in the sense of photo AI and photo app (an app which backs up to the NAS when out and about etc) ...
I thought about the 920+ as it has integrated graphics but as its 3 years old, I thought about QNAPP 464 model because it's newer and seems to have better hardware -- but because of the above and in my probably very amateurish understanding that QNAP isn't 'as good' or 'well-rounded' as Synology I explored the 923+ ... however because of its lacks of integrated onboard graphics , it has put me off - though the upgradability of it (and it being newer) draws me to it .. therefore I am in a debate, 920+ or 923+...
I see on some threads and NAS compares videos that Plex Server (Whcih I'm not sure I would actually use) may struggle with demanding transcoding; therefore 920+ is better. that said; if I'm not going to use a media server - why not get the 923+ .... this is where I get more stuck .. 
Another thing I'm not clear about; would the 923+ struggle with tasks like indexing and AI / facial recognition of photos or would be better?
does the 923+ having expandable ECC memory, the potential for higher LAN speeds and also SSD drive outweigh the dual-core AMD without integrated graphics ... I seem to think surely Synology wouldn't have a NAS that has such a chip set that would struggle / not perform with software that the very system is highly associated with, would they ?
Primarily I want a machine that is a backup of photos/videos etc and will sync my photos when out. 

this seems slightly all over the place; I have info overload ... any help would be gratefully received....

Messages In This Thread
Which NAS to buy? - by ENQUIRIES - 11-28-2022, 11:00 PM
RE: Which NAS to buy? - by ed - 11-29-2022, 04:52 PM
RE: Which NAS to buy? - by mdf0207 - 11-29-2022, 05:11 PM