Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NAS Recommendation for remote access

Dear NAS Compares!

I love your channel - you make such a grey technical subject so much fun to watch. Thank you for going to such a Herculean effort to make so much content to help others.

I’m a freelance editor and I often travel by train and live out of a bag Monday to Friday, so it’s impossible to travel with piles of hard drives in case I need a sound effect, photograph or video file. Often I realise I’ve left something desperately important at home. I think it’s time I invest in a NAS drive so that I can access my archive remotely. It would also be great to to simplify & improve my digital life into one location.

To start the process I've recently created a master 14TB drive to hopefully transfer to a NAS drive and this is a rough breakdown of what’s on it:

Master ‘my life’ Documents - 2.5 TB
Assets (SFX Library / VFX Assets etc) 3 TB
Video Archive (mainly QuickTimes of TV programmes I’ve edited) - 3 TB
Music (create an iTunes server?) - 500GB
Photograph Archive - 2.5TB
(Computer & iPhone backups - 1TB?)

CURRENT ARCHIVE TOTAL 13.5 TB

I'm based mainly on Macs at home, but often I use PC’s at work. Synology + Qnap seem to be good options to investigate. I realise it will cost money to set up, so I’ve got a budget of around £2,000 initially.

I'd like future expandability with my NAS Drive, so I think I need more than 2 bays - I don't necessarily have to fill all the bays at first (maybe 3 x 16TB initially?) but I'd like to have the option to expand when I need too.

The DS1621+ or the QNAP TS-h973AX seem interesting. Or maybe the DS1522+? Or perhaps something smaller like the DS920+ would be enough for my initial needs?

I like the idea of filling it with Seagate IronWolf Pro 16TB drives and hopefully whatever NAS I buy has good software built into it’s operating system to make life as easy as possible.

Obviously I am a video editor (mainly TV documentaries, although I do occasionally do short video promos too) but currently I haven’t planned on editing (offline / low res proxies) video off the NAS in my home studio… but I do have a mountain of hard drives, so maybe you would suggest biting the bullet to future proof my system for video use?

If so, will I need to up the RAM in the NAS, add M2 NVMe drives for caching and also update my home network speed with additional routers…? (Or at least have the ability to to do it later?)

OTHER QUESTIONS:

If I ran an iTunes Server (or similar music system) could I or my son access the music remotely?
I’m interested in running a home security system of it too.
I’d like to be able to backup my iPhone, my Mac’s and son’s tech if that is possible.
I’d like to do more music creation (yup - mid life crisis!) so can I use a NAS to store all of my music samples etc. for Reason & Logic etc?
What formatting / RAID type would you recommend for my setup?
Finally - as an extra backup - could I automatically remote backup some of my data to a service like the 10TB iDrive package as an extra safety net? Is that possible to do off Synology or Qnap NAS systems or am I forced to use expensive corporate Cloud accounts?
I don’t think I need Video Plex facilities or Video encoding but maybe I’m wrong? (I mainly use software to encode video work like Handbrake and for personal & family viewing we use Netflix / Disney + etc so I’m not sure what video Plex is something I’d ever use…)

I’m not a computer novice - I’ve used PCs since DOS days and I can roll my sleeves up when needed - but NAS seems to be so alien to me (maybe it’s the fear of loosing yet more data!!!) so it does give me a bit of a headache trying to work out what would be the best option for me. Any help and advice will be much appreciated!

With very best wishes and keep up the excellent work with your channel!

Ross

Messages In This Thread
NAS Recommendation for remote access - by ENQUIRIES - 09-22-2022, 01:00 PM
RE: NAS Recommendation for remote access - by ed - 09-22-2022, 03:31 PM