Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

WD Red Pro 16TB not recognised in Synology DS214+?

I bought some WD Red Pro 16TB [WD161KFGX] drives recently, as they were on offer, to upgrade my Synology DS214+ and DS415+.
However, they don't seem to be recognised when I replace the current drive in the NAS. I mounted it in the DS214+, but nothing on Storage Manager and cannot repair volume.
I haven't tried the DS415+ yet, as long rebuild if it also fails and I have to put the old drive back in and repair.

Synology [and WD] have said they are not supported by any Synology NAS [not on compatibility list], but Red Pro 14TB version [WD141KFGX] is.
Any ideas why this is?
I have heard of others using drives not on the list, so not sure why this is an issue.
Synology have said they don't block incompatible drives.

I have connected 2 of these drives to my PC and can see them, but cannot do any SMART scan using WD dashboard [Fails] and only drive info is serial number and basic drive info [Model, tc.].
I also cannot initialise the drive [get "Drive error (Cyclic redundancy check)" dialog] in windows in Windows Disk Management and cannot format it.
Is there something wrong with these drives?

Is there anything I can do? Or will I have to admit defeat and return the unopened drives and sell the used ones?!

Cheers for any help here.

Messages In This Thread
WD Red Pro 16TB not recognised in Synology DS214+? - by Diz - 04-08-2022, 05:38 PM