Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

2x Drives SHR (without data protection) Can I swap one?

I'm quite sure you cannot just swap one disk if you do not have data protection.There could be better ideas, but I you really want to swap the 3 TB with a 7 TB, then this is my advice:Buy the new 7 TB drive, connected it somewhere and copy everything over to that disk.Then re-install the NAS volume with SHR (with data protection!), using the 3+4 TB disks (which will wiping everything on them).You'll only be able to fit around 3 TB of data on that setup, but it seems like that should be enough.Then remove the 3 TB disk and stick the 7 TB in there. Let it rebuild.But - that approach will not give you much more space. The data protection will limit it to the size of the smaller 4 TB disk. It will, however, make sense if you at some point want to remove the remaining 4 TB disk and replace it with a 7 TB disk - you'll then get all the space available.I would have kept the all disks, 3+4+7, but you'll still waste some TBs. See https://www.synology.com/en-us/support/R...B%7C6%20TB if you have not already. Good luck!

Messages In This Thread
2x Drives SHR (without data protection) Can I swap one? - by markus - 01-19-2021, 02:42 PM