Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1-Bay Synology NAS?

I use Apple Devices - 2017 MacBook, iPhone 7, iPad, and Apple TV & Samsung TV. I also use iCloud to store my data and sync. across devices.
I want to buy a NAS to provide an additional backup for the data in iCloud, plus storage of photos currently only on a SSD (scanned from prints plus images from a digital camera) and approx 50 DVDs.
I'm not interested in streaming videos to any devices other than the Apple TV so maybe transcoding is not a problem for me.
I've been advised that Synology makes good products but I've had conflicting reports of whether Plex will run on a DS118; Synology says it won't but another company (a reseller) says it will.
I'm trying not to go to the expense of a 2-bay NAS (such as the DS218) as this almost triples the price when 2 by Ironwolf HDDs are factored in.
I understand that a 1-bay NAS doesn't have RAID1 redundancy but, as I still have iCloud and the SSD I don't think I need a 2-bay model.
If Plex won't run on a DS118, are the Synology Apps ( Video Station and Media Server) as good as Plex?

Messages In This Thread
1-Bay Synology NAS? - by Enquiries - 02-28-2020, 03:37 PM
1-Bay Synology NAS? - by admin - 01-18-2021, 07:10 PM