Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Raid configuration and backup solution combo?

First, your videos are great. i have watched a loads of them, but still have some questions on my particular case and would like someone else's opinion.

Equipment i already have.

1 x DJ212J (2012) - 2x 2tb WD Red Plus in Raid 1 - this was my 2nd NAS and thought i upgraded at the time... this has been solid for 8 years and nearly 24/7 uptime and still running - figured it was time to upgrade and stop gambling. i have no backup of this NAS. it is also at 98% capacity which doesn't help.

2x TS-453D 8GB - i just picked up 2 of these based on your videos. 4x 4tb WD Red Plus.

my original intent was to have both of the 453D with 2x 4tb in RAID 1 and use one as a backup of the other, i realize this may be overkill after i purchased. and ditch the synology all together even though it has been rock solid. just freaking slow and dated.

Q 1: would it be better to put both 453Ds as RAID 0 and have one back up the other thereby getting the speed benefits of RAID 0? this would give me 8tb i am after with just 4 disks.

Q2: or should i purchase additional drives and hook up a RAID 5 with 3x 4tb in each giving me my 8tb storage in each? if so would i be able add a 4th 4tb to the RAID configuration in the future?

Q3: if i do use both 453D's what do you think of a RAID 5 in one using 3x 4TB and the backup with just 2x 4TB in RAID 0 in the other?

Thank you so much and keep those informative videos coming. ( i do listen to your videos at 1.75x and it makes them even more entertaining)

joshua.

Messages In This Thread
Raid configuration and backup solution combo? - by Enquiries - 02-28-2020, 03:37 PM