ASK NC
NAS upagrade. DIY thoguhts and Ideas - Printable Version

+- ASK NC (https://ask.nascompares.com)
+-- Forum: Q&A (https://ask.nascompares.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Before you buy Q&A (https://ask.nascompares.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: NAS upagrade. DIY thoguhts and Ideas (/showthread.php?tid=11327)

NAS upagrade. DIY thoguhts and Ideas - Enquiries - 10-23-2024

Hey,
Im looking for a good NAS option to upgrade to from my Synology DS418.
My main criteria:
• Rack-mountable. Either a half-depth rack-mount case or a desktop case I can put on a rack shelf
• A device that runs reliably for the next 10–15 years with minimum intervention.
• Min 8 drives and space to expand in the future – for large file storage
• Ability to repair/upgrade the NAS in the future.
I am happy to go either turnkey or DIY, but have been investigating the DIY given the want for repairability / upgradability. Case wise was thinking about either Sliger CX3702 or SilverStone CS382. The Icy Dock ToughArmor 8x2.5” to 5.25 caddie looks awesome for future proofing! Thinking about a HBA or m.2 to Sata for extra I/O.
Im struggling to find good options for matx mobo/cpu. I found the SuperMicro X13SCL-F but its not cheap and neither is ECC DDR5. Happy spend a little more if it gives me the years of service.
I would love any thoughts/recommendations.

RE: NAS upagrade. DIY thoguhts and Ideas - ed - 10-24-2024

Based on your criteria, it’s clear you’re looking for a reliable, high-capacity NAS solution that’s future-proof and customizable. The DIY approach offers a lot of flexibility in terms of components and upgrades, but it also requires some technical knowledge and time investment.

DIY Option: Components and Recommendations
Case: The Sliger CX3702 and SilverStone CS382 are both excellent choices for a rack-mountable NAS. The Icy Dock ToughArmor caddies are a fantastic way to maximize storage capacity.

Motherboard: While the SuperMicro X13SCL-F is a solid option, it’s on the pricier side. Consider alternatives like the ASRock Rack X570-TAICHI or the Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER. These boards offer excellent features and support for ECC memory.

CPU: A Ryzen 7 or Threadripper processor would be suitable for your needs. Look for models with a high number of cores and threads for efficient multitasking.

Memory: ECC DDR4 or DDR5 memory is essential for data integrity. Using a server-grade memory kit will provide optimal performance and reliability.

Storage: Opt for high-capacity HDDs or SSDs designed for NAS environments. Implementing a RAID configuration can also enhance data protection.

HBA or M.2 to SATA: Adding an HBA or an M.2 to SATA adapter can provide additional I/O capabilities, especially for high-speed data transfers.

Turnkey Options
If you prefer a more plug-and-play solution, consider these turnkey NAS options:

Synology: Known for reliability and ease of use, Synology offers a wide range of NAS devices.

QNAP: QNAP is another popular choice, featuring advanced capabilities like virtualization and containerization.

Thecus: Thecus provides affordable NAS devices with good performance and features.

Factors to Consider
Technical Skills: If you're comfortable building and configuring a computer, the DIY approach can be rewarding.

Time Investment: Building and setting up a DIY NAS can be time-consuming.

Support: Turnkey NAS solutions often come with better support options, which can save you time and hassle.

RE: NAS upagrade. DIY thoguhts and Ideas - Redacted_ - 10-26-2024

Hey,

Thanks so much for you suggestions.

Those two suggestions look great re PCIe and m.2 slots they are both ATX boards but it was my understanding that the two cases support upto matx, so those boards, unfortunately won’t fit. I should have specified matx in my original question about mobo/cpu, apologies. Is there a matx boards that you could recommended that would support the amount the 14-20ish drives those case’s can support?

I will keep the advice re CPU’s in the back of my head and I also have a look at the Thecus options as I haven’t encounter them before, thank you for those pointers.

Thanks so much for any thoughts.