ASK NC
Hdd nas - Printable Version

+- ASK NC (https://ask.nascompares.com)
+-- Forum: Q&A (https://ask.nascompares.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Before you buy Q&A (https://ask.nascompares.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Hdd nas (/showthread.php?tid=11138)

Hdd nas - Enquiries - 08-28-2024

Hi, I'm looking to replace my synology nasses. I was intreged by one of your articles saying that there are nasses without OS. You name a few there. I'm looking for the best of them (and nothing less of it). Since I already have my hdd's, I want to go that route, 4 bays or higher, 2 ethernet ports (prefer 2.5 Gbps). Also, it needs to be able to have truenas, unraid and pve. Video and therefore transcoding, music and files need to be functions, and it needs to be able to get to it from the internet as well as local. What would you recommend?

RE: Hdd nas - ed - 08-30-2024

Thanks for reaching out! If you're looking to replace your Synology NAS and are interested in NAS enclosures without a pre-installed OS, there are some excellent options that can run TrueNAS, Unraid, and Proxmox VE (PVE). These setups give you the flexibility to install the software of your choice and customize your NAS according to your needs.

Recommended NAS Options:
QNAP TS-473A

Pros: This 4-bay NAS supports a variety of operating systems, including TrueNAS, Unraid, and PVE. It comes with two 2.5 Gbps Ethernet ports, making it a great fit for high-speed network environments. The TS-473A also features a quad-core AMD Ryzen processor, which is excellent for handling tasks like video transcoding and media streaming.
Flexibility: This NAS offers PCIe slots for expansion, allowing you to add additional NICs or SSDs for caching, enhancing performance further.
Terramaster F4-423

Pros: The Terramaster F4-423 is a 4-bay NAS that supports running third-party OS like TrueNAS and Unraid. It features dual 2.5 Gbps Ethernet ports and a quad-core Intel Celeron processor, making it capable of handling media tasks and file storage efficiently. Terramaster NAS devices are known for their affordability and flexibility.
Transcoding and Media: This model can handle video transcoding, music streaming, and file management, making it a versatile choice for home use.
Asustor Lockerstor 4 AS6604T

Pros: Another strong contender, the AS6604T comes with four bays and dual 2.5 Gbps Ethernet ports. It features an Intel Celeron quad-core processor and supports up to 8GB of RAM. Asustor NAS devices are known for their robust hardware and support for a variety of operating systems, including TrueNAS and Unraid.
Media Capabilities: With support for 4K video transcoding, this NAS is ideal for media enthusiasts looking to stream content both locally and remotely.
Why These Options?
Flexibility with OS: All the recommended NAS devices can run TrueNAS, Unraid, or PVE, giving you the flexibility to choose the best software solution for your needs.
Networking: The dual 2.5 Gbps Ethernet ports ensure you have the bandwidth necessary for high-speed data transfers and smooth media streaming.
Transcoding and Media: Each option supports video transcoding and media streaming, which is essential for handling video and music files efficiently.