ASK NC
I just bought the DS423+ as my first NAS - Printable Version

+- ASK NC (https://ask.nascompares.com)
+-- Forum: Q&A (https://ask.nascompares.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Before you buy Q&A (https://ask.nascompares.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: I just bought the DS423+ as my first NAS (/showthread.php?tid=11131)

I just bought the DS423+ as my first NAS - drewdavis - 08-27-2024

Hello. I just bought the DS423+ as my first NAS. What are tips tricks and essential phone apps that I need? Any help is appreciated. I have set it up based on YouTube video from NASCompares

RE: I just bought the DS423+ as my first NAS - ed - 08-30-2024

Congrats on your new DS423+! It's a great choice for a first NAS, and there are plenty of ways to make the most out of it. Here are some tips, tricks, and essential phone apps to help you get started:

Tips and Tricks for Your DS423+:
Set Up Synology QuickConnect: This feature allows you to access your NAS remotely from anywhere, without needing to configure your router. It's perfect for accessing your files when you're on the go.

Enable Two-Factor Authentication (2FA): For added security, enable 2FA to protect your NAS from unauthorized access. You can set this up under the User settings in DSM.

Set Up Automated Backups: Use Synology Hyper Backup to create automated backups of your data. You can back up to an external drive, another Synology NAS, or even a cloud service.

Use Synology Drive: This is a powerful tool for syncing files across multiple devices. It works similarly to Google Drive or Dropbox, but your data stays on your NAS. It's great for accessing and sharing files on all your devices.

Organize Your Media: Set up Synology’s Video Station, Photo Station, or Moments apps to organize and access your media files. This is particularly useful if you have a lot of photos, videos, or movies stored on your NAS.

Set Up User Accounts: If other people in your household will be using the NAS, set up separate user accounts with different permissions to control access to files and folders.

Install Plex for Media Streaming: If you’re into streaming movies and TV shows, install Plex Media Server on your DS423+. Plex organizes your media and streams it to various devices, including your phone, smart TV, or tablet.

Essential Phone Apps for Your DS423+:
DS File: This app allows you to browse and manage your files stored on the NAS from your smartphone. It's a must-have for quick access to your files on the go.

DS Finder: This app helps you manage your NAS, monitor its status, and receive notifications. It’s handy for performing basic admin tasks directly from your phone.

Synology Drive: Sync and access your files across different devices with the Synology Drive app. It’s perfect for working on documents or accessing files stored on your NAS while away from home.

DS Audio, DS Video, and DS Photo: These apps are great for streaming music, videos, and browsing photos stored on your NAS. They make it easy to enjoy your media from anywhere.

Synology Moments: If you prefer a more automated photo organization, Moments can categorize your photos using AI, making it easy to find specific pictures.

Plex: If you set up Plex on your NAS, download the Plex app for your phone to stream movies and shows directly from your NAS to your device.

Final Advice:
Take your time exploring the features of DSM (DiskStation Manager) and setting up the apps and services that best suit your needs. Synology’s ecosystem is very robust, and there’s a lot to discover!