ASK NC
New NAS Recommendation Request! - Printable Version

+- ASK NC (https://ask.nascompares.com)
+-- Forum: Q&A (https://ask.nascompares.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Before you buy Q&A (https://ask.nascompares.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: New NAS Recommendation Request! (/showthread.php?tid=11123)

New NAS Recommendation Request! - GaryVrck - 08-25-2024

I am looking to upgrade from a WD PR2100 and would love your recommendations!

My primary uses are Plex, photo storage (I have approx 150k photos in raw format that I edit in Lightroom, Photoshop, Luminar and Topaz tools), video storage and editing with Vegas Pro video editing software, and general PC file storage.    

I have decided to go with a 4 bay NAS this time round and have it narrowed down to the following choices:
ASUSTOR AS5404T, QNAP TS-464, Terramaster F4-424, Synology 423+.

My new PC motherboard supports 2.5 GB Ethernet so down the road I'll upgrade the switch this NAS will plug into as well - thus having support for 2.5 GB Ethernet in this NAS makes sense to me. ... no need for 10 GB Ethernet support though as no other devices in my home support it.

From the numerous reviews I've come across, I am leaning towards the ASUSTOR for the hardware features / value but am wondering how stable the sw platform is.  Given that QNAP is 2+ years old now, is the hw becoming dated?  Terramaster may have similar sw concerns as ASUSTOR? Synology seems to have the best sw platform, but is perhaps the weakest from a hw point of view (don't think it supports 2.5 GB ethernet either).  But Synology might be the most secure (I think the other 3 got hit with ransomware over the past few years)??

I am generally comfortable using computers and IT in general, but I want to spend my time editing photos, and watching my Plex movies not solving and debugging NAS IT issues so ease of use in the software environment is important to me.  As noted above though I have fairly basic NAS needs though - I won't be installing a bunch of security cameras, or running virtual machines so perhaps the software provided by all of the vendors will suffice for my needs.  

Any suggestions folks can provide me on the above would be hugely appreciated!!

Finally, one additional question, with any of the above NAS devices, is there sw available such that I can back up my iphone and iPad to one of these four NAS devices instead of using iCloud?  Similarly, would my wife be able to back up her Google Pixel phone to one of these NAS devices instead of using her Google Drive?

Many thanks in advance for your help,
Gary

RE: New NAS Recommendation Request! - ed - 08-30-2024

Hi Gary,

Great to hear you're looking to upgrade your NAS! Based on your needs—Plex, photo storage and editing, video editing, and general file storage—here’s a rundown of the NAS options you mentioned:

1. ASUSTOR AS5404T
Pros: This model offers good hardware for the price, including support for 2.5GbE, which aligns well with your future network upgrade plans. It has a quad-core Intel Celeron processor and 4GB of RAM (expandable to 8GB), making it capable of handling Plex streaming and your photo/video editing workloads.
Software: ASUSTOR’s ADM OS is decent, though it may not be as polished or user-friendly as Synology’s DSM. Some users have reported concerns about stability, but ASUSTOR has been actively improving their software platform.
Value: High-value hardware features for the price, making it a compelling option.
2. QNAP TS-464
Pros: QNAP offers a good balance between hardware and software. The TS-464 features a quad-core Intel Celeron processor, 4GB RAM (expandable), and 2.5GbE support. It’s well-suited for your Plex, photo, and video editing needs. The QTS OS is powerful and offers a lot of flexibility, with a wide range of apps.
Age Concerns: Although this model is a couple of years old, it’s still relevant and capable, especially with firmware updates and support. QNAP devices offer robust hardware, and the TS-464 is still a good performer.
3. Terramaster F4-424
Pros: Similar hardware specs to ASUSTOR, with a quad-core Intel Celeron processor and 4GB of RAM (expandable). It also supports 2.5GbE, which is good for your needs. Terramaster NAS devices are known for being budget-friendly.
Software: Terramaster’s TOS has been improving, but it might still lag behind Synology and QNAP in terms of stability and features. Users have reported mixed experiences regarding software quality and support.
4. Synology DS423+
Pros: Synology’s strength is its DSM software, which is highly user-friendly, stable, and secure. It provides a seamless experience, especially for those who want to focus more on their work (like photo and video editing) than on managing their NAS. However, the DS423+ does not support 2.5GbE, which could limit future network upgrades.
Hardware: While the DS423+ may not have the cutting-edge hardware like the other options, its software optimization often compensates for this, providing smooth performance for media streaming and backups.
Recommendation
Based on your needs and priorities, here’s what I’d suggest:

If you prioritize ease of use, stability, and a polished software experience, the Synology DS423+ is a solid choice. Even without 2.5GbE, its reliable software could outweigh the hardware limitations, especially if your primary focus is on a hassle-free experience.

If you want good hardware features and 2.5GbE support while still having decent software, the ASUSTOR AS5404T or QNAP TS-464 are excellent choices. Between the two, QNAP might offer a slightly more robust and reliable software experience. QNAP's QTS is powerful and versatile, which might be useful if you decide to expand your NAS’s capabilities in the future.