ASK NC
Synology 423+ / 923+ / 1522+/other? - Printable Version

+- ASK NC (https://ask.nascompares.com)
+-- Forum: Q&A (https://ask.nascompares.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Before you buy Q&A (https://ask.nascompares.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Synology 423+ / 923+ / 1522+/other? (/showthread.php?tid=11119)

Synology 423+ / 923+ / 1522+/other? - Enquiries - 08-25-2024

Thank you for your time and help.

We are estimating 10GB a week (recorded videos from a 200MP camera phone) for data upload to the NAS we will build. I'm overestimating and building an 12TB Raid 5 array using Three Synology 4TB drives at 5400RPM (The HAT-3300).

This upload will be via a link with password and expiration from the NAS, so external download outside our internal network.

Our router is a 1GBS connection where we see 500-700MBS tested from each of our wired and wireless devices. Due to this I am implementing a tplink Layer 2 managed switch to aggregate the RJ45 LAN ports.

Is the 423+, 923+ or 1522+ (or Other) the best recommendation for this application. We may also put 2 IP cams on as a VM or simply a folder but I want to limit the surveillance storage to 2GB initially. eventually we may build a site where people may view the videos,

I appreciate your time and help. (Of course I asked Synology but got mixed answers from 1 rep to the next).

RE: Synology 423+ / 923+ / 1522+/other? - ed - 08-30-2024

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out! Based on your needs and budget, here's a breakdown of the best options for your NAS setup:

Synology DS423+
Pros: The DS423+ is a solid, cost-effective choice for small to medium business use. It has a quad-core Intel Celeron processor and 2GB of RAM (expandable to 6GB). It's capable of handling your planned 10GB weekly data uploads, file sharing via links, and basic surveillance needs with the 2 IP cameras.
Cons: It lacks the expandability and raw power of the higher-end models, which might limit performance if you scale up or add more intensive tasks in the future.
Synology DS923+
Pros: The DS923+ offers more power with a Ryzen R1600 processor and supports up to 32GB of RAM. It's a good choice if you want more flexibility and future-proofing, especially if you plan to expand surveillance or add additional users. It also supports 10GbE networking with an optional NIC upgrade, which could be beneficial if your network infrastructure upgrades in the future.
Cons: It’s more expensive, which might stretch your budget, but the added power and scalability might be worth it if you anticipate future growth.
Synology DS1522+
Pros: The DS1522+ offers similar benefits to the DS923+ but with more storage capacity right out of the box, thanks to its 5 drive bays. It has the same Ryzen R1600 processor and up to 32GB of RAM, making it a robust choice for video storage and external access. It’s also well-suited for handling multiple tasks simultaneously, like video storage and hosting a site for video viewing.
Cons: It’s slightly larger and more expensive than the 4-bay models, but the extra bay and overall power could be useful for your needs.
Recommendation
Given your requirements, the Synology DS923+ is a great fit. It balances power and scalability, which is important since you're planning for potential future growth, including handling video from high-resolution cameras and setting up external access for video viewing. The ability to upgrade to 10GbE networking also adds a layer of future-proofing.

However, if your priority is immediate cost savings and you’re okay with slightly less performance, the DS423+ will handle your current needs and is a solid, budget-friendly option.

The DS1522+ is ideal if you anticipate needing more storage and capability soon, thanks to its extra drive bay and similar processing power to the DS923+.