ASK NC
Looking to replace my Synology DS215J - Printable Version

+- ASK NC (https://ask.nascompares.com)
+-- Forum: Q&A (https://ask.nascompares.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Before you buy Q&A (https://ask.nascompares.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Looking to replace my Synology DS215J (/showthread.php?tid=11096)

Looking to replace my Synology DS215J - JackClarke - 08-18-2024

Hi,

I'm looking to replace my Synology DS215J - With a larger 4-bay.

I'm trying to decide which model is best for my usage and with it currently being August is now a good time to buy?

My use case is:

1. Backups (2 MacBook's, 2 Windows 11 PCs, iPhone, iPad second backup aside iCloud).

2. Storage (Videos/Photos) - Mainly to free up space on my iPhone/iPad. Nothing huge there (5GB?). However, Game stream clips/highlights in 1440p60p maybe larger but this currently isn't a huge size currently just 50GB.

3. Maybe store films/movies on and stream to my LG C2 TV. However, this be a maximum of like 3 films a month if that at best.

I've been looking at the DS420+ and DS920+ - not sure if this is my route to go if so which? Or a completely different model you can recommend.

Thanks!

RE: Looking to replace my Synology DS215J - ed - 08-23-2024

Replacing your Synology DS215J with a larger 4-bay NAS is a great idea, especially given your expanding needs. Both the DS420+ and DS920+ are solid options, and either would serve you well, but I’ll break down the differences to help you decide.

DS420+ vs. DS920+
Performance and Expandability:

The DS420+ comes with a dual-core processor and 2GB of RAM, which is expandable up to 6GB. It’s great for basic tasks like backups, storing photos and videos, and light media streaming. It's a capable and reliable option for your current needs.
The DS920+, on the other hand, has a quad-core processor and starts with 4GB of RAM, expandable up to 8GB. This extra power makes it better suited for more demanding tasks, such as handling larger video libraries or running multiple applications simultaneously. It also supports SSD caching, which can improve performance if you decide to use it.
Future-Proofing:

If you think your storage needs might grow or you might use the NAS for more intensive tasks in the future, the DS920+ offers more headroom for expansion and heavier usage. It’s more future-proof due to its better specs.
The DS420+ is still a good choice for your current needs but might feel limited sooner if your use cases expand.
Price Considerations:

The DS420+ is typically cheaper, which makes it a budget-friendly option that still covers your current requirements. If budget is a concern, it’s a solid choice.
The DS920+, while a bit more expensive, offers better performance and scalability, which might be worth the investment if you want to ensure your NAS can handle more demanding tasks in the future.
Is Now a Good Time to Buy?
August can be a good time to buy, especially with back-to-school sales and end-of-summer deals. However, NAS devices don’t often go on sale as much as other tech products. That said, checking for deals or bundles (like with hard drives included) can save some money.

RE: Looking to replace my Synology DS215J - JackClarke - 08-23-2024

Hi ed,

Many thanks for the detailed comparison! The DS420+ does sound like the better option here and better for when I grow/expand.

Is the DS420+ still the best option overall? I know I mentioned the DS420+ and DS920+ products but happy to look at DS423+ or others.

I hear you on the sales! I've had a price drop alert set up for both these models since released and the DS920+ has only dropped three times since. My budget for the NAS (Without HDDs) is probablly around £500 GBP.

I have seen the DS923+ with 16GB 4x4TB for £981, £549.99 enclosure only, DS423+ £399 previously (granted these have expired on HUKD).

Currently the Synology DS923+ 4 Bay NAS Enclosure looks to be around £544.98 inc. vat SAVE £34.98 was £579.96.

Thanks Ed.

PS: forgot to include: Would it be possible to move/keep DS215J onto whatever new NAS I buy? I'd like to retire the DS215J or maybe transfer it to the newer model and keep the DS215J for shared family photos only or something what the entire family can use and my own private.