ASK NC
Encryption questions - Printable Version

+- ASK NC (https://ask.nascompares.com)
+-- Forum: Q&A (https://ask.nascompares.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Before you buy Q&A (https://ask.nascompares.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Encryption questions (/showthread.php?tid=11064)

Encryption questions - Enquiries - 08-09-2024

I've been going down the rabbit hole of how I might create my own local password manager because I don't want to trust some weird company with my data while also being able to create backups and what not for data safety purposes. The one thing I can't find very easily is what the minimum recommended system resources for aes-256 bit encryption. Because since all it will be is a local "password manager" I don't need more than a 2-bay. But ram usage for encryption and such is something I am looking to just get the minimum necessary for a decent experience since it will only be for text files but also get it as cheap as I can for that decent experience.

RE: Encryption questions - ed - 08-09-2024

Thanks for reaching out! It’s fantastic that you’re considering creating your own local password manager—it’s a smart way to take control of your data. AES-256 bit encryption is a solid choice, and I’ve got just the NAS recommendation for you that balances cost and performance.

Recommended NAS: Synology DS224+
The Synology DS224+ is an excellent fit for your needs. Here’s why:

Efficient Encryption:

The DS224+ comes with a capable processor that includes hardware acceleration for AES-256 bit encryption. This means it can handle encryption tasks smoothly without straining the system, even if you’re only working with text files.
Adequate RAM:

With 2GB of RAM (expandable to 6GB), the DS224+ offers more than enough memory to run your local password manager, perform encryption, and handle any other basic tasks you might have. For your setup, this is plenty.
Storage:

The 2-bay design is perfect for your 2TB mirrored storage needs. You can set up the drives in RAID 1 for redundancy, ensuring your data is safe even if one drive fails.
Full Range of Apps:

Synology’s DSM (DiskStation Manager) offers a wide range of applications that make it easy to set up and manage your NAS. It’s user-friendly and provides a Google-like experience for accessing your files remotely.
Synology’s Password Manager App:

Synology even offers its own password manager app within DSM, so you can securely manage your passwords directly on your NAS without needing third-party solutions. This integrates seamlessly with your encrypted storage, giving you a complete, self-contained solution.
Why the DS224+?
The DS224+ is not only powerful enough to handle your encryption needs but also offers a full suite of apps, including a password manager, making it an all-in-one solution for your project. Plus, Synology’s DSM is one of the most user-friendly NAS operating systems, perfect for setting up and managing your encrypted storage without any hassle.