ASK NC
moving drives - Printable Version

+- ASK NC (https://ask.nascompares.com)
+-- Forum: Q&A (https://ask.nascompares.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Before you buy Q&A (https://ask.nascompares.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: moving drives (/showthread.php?tid=11059)

moving drives - Enquiries - 08-07-2024

Hi I am looking for some advice.My previous QNAP TS-453BT3 decided to die, mid-flight catastrophic failure with two 12TB ironwolf seagate drives in it.  I have purchased a replacement QNAP TS464, and I want to put the drives back into the new machine.I have updated the firmware on the QNAPTS464, however I can't get past the stage where I have to initiate the drives. ( If I do that I lose all my data, on my 12TB's drives NOT AN OPTION) Questions What is the best option to get around this problem? My current thoughts are: 1/ Can I initiate the TS464 machine without the drives in? is that even possible? 2/ Do I get another additional drive, initiate the TS464 with that drive, which will format the drive, and then initiate the box. Once the TS363 is initiated 1/ I insert the 12TB drives back in.2/ Will the device recognise the drives and then how do I copy the data across? Lots of questions I know, a little bit of guidance, would be of great help. 

RE: moving drives - ed - 08-09-2024

Thank you for reaching out, and I’m sorry to hear about the failure of your QNAP TS-453BT3. I understand how crucial it is to preserve your data on those 12TB drives. Let’s go through your options to ensure a smooth transition to your new TS-464 without losing any data.

1. Can I Initialize the TS-464 Without the Drives?
Yes, you can. You can set up the TS-464 without the drives installed. Here’s how:
Step 1: Power on the TS-464 without any drives inserted.
Step 2: Go through the initial setup process, such as updating the firmware and configuring the basic network settings.
Step 3: Once the system is initialized, power down the NAS.
2. Installing a Temporary Drive to Initialize the NAS
Option 2: Installing an additional drive to initiate the TS-464 is also a viable approach. Here’s how you can do it:
Step 1: Insert a new or spare drive into one of the bays.
Step 2: Power on the NAS and go through the initialization process. The system will format this temporary drive.
Step 3: After the initialization is complete, power down the NAS and remove the temporary drive.
3. Inserting Your Existing 12TB Drives
After you’ve initialized the NAS without your 12TB drives:

Step 1: Power down the NAS.
Step 2: Insert your 12TB drives into the same slots they were in on the TS-453BT3.
Step 3: Power on the NAS. The TS-464 should detect the existing RAID configuration and prompt you to recover or import the existing storage pool.
4. Will the Device Recognize the Drives and Preserve the Data?
Data Recovery: When you power on the TS-464 with your 12TB drives installed, it should recognize the existing RAID array. You may see options to "Recover" or "Import" the existing storage pool. Select the option that matches your situation (usually "Recover" or "Import Existing Pool").
Accessing Data: Once the RAID is recognized and imported, your data should be accessible without any issues.
Precautions:
Backup: If possible, consider backing up your data before making any changes. If a full backup isn’t possible, try to backup any critical data to another device if you can access it.
Contact QNAP Support: If you have any doubts during the process, don’t hesitate to contact QNAP support. They can provide guidance specific to your situation, ensuring that your data is handled safely.

With RAID 1 you could also connect one of the drives via USB docking station and see data.