ASK NC
NAS for video editing and sync - Printable Version

+- ASK NC (https://ask.nascompares.com)
+-- Forum: Q&A (https://ask.nascompares.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Before you buy Q&A (https://ask.nascompares.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: NAS for video editing and sync (/showthread.php?tid=11056)

NAS for video editing and sync - Enquiries - 08-06-2024

Hi!

I'm looking for a NAS that I'll hook up in an office for a documentary we'll be working on. The team and I mostly work from home but I'll need to pop in the office periodically for in person sessions

I'm hoping to use Resilio Sync to keep the project folders in sync while we work, and I want to use a NAS that'll be on 24/7 in the office, both as an additional node for speed while syncing and as a place to edit from directly while working in the office.

I initially thought about using the Flashtor 6 for this purpose but I'm not really sure if this is either too much or too little for our purpose.

Do you have any specific recommendations for a trustworthy NAS I could use?

RE: NAS for video editing and sync - ed - 08-09-2024

Thanks for reaching out with your NAS requirements for your upcoming documentary project. It’s great that you’re thinking about using Resilio Sync to keep your project folders in sync across your team, and having a reliable NAS at the office to serve as both a sync node and an editing hub is a smart move.

NAS Requirements Recap:
24/7 Operation: The NAS will be running constantly to support syncing and in-office editing.
Direct Editing: You’ll need a NAS that’s fast enough to handle video editing directly from the storage.
Reliable Syncing: The NAS should integrate smoothly with Resilio Sync for reliable file synchronization.
Budget: Around $2000.
Storage: 16TB total capacity.
Recommended NAS: QNAP TVS-h674 or Synology DS1621xs+
Given your needs, I’d recommend looking at either the QNAP TVS-h674 or the Synology DS1621xs+. Both are powerful, reliable, and well-suited for video editing and syncing tasks.

1. QNAP TVS-h674
Processor: Intel Core i5-12400 (6 Cores, 12 Threads, up to 4.4 GHz)
Memory: 16GB DDR4 (expandable up to 64GB)
Storage Bays: 6 bays, allowing for a combination of HDDs for bulk storage and SSDs for caching or fast access.
Networking: 2 x 2.5GbE ports, with an option to upgrade to 10GbE via PCIe slot, ensuring fast transfer speeds, especially important for video editing.
Performance: With its powerful CPU and ample memory, this NAS can handle video editing directly and support fast syncing through Resilio Sync.
Compatibility: QNAP’s support for a wide range of applications and its ability to expand with PCIe cards make it a flexible choice for your needs.
2. Synology DS1621xs+
Processor: Intel Xeon D-1527 (Quad-Core 2.2GHz, Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz)
Memory: 8GB DDR4 ECC RAM (expandable to 32GB)
Storage Bays: 6 bays, ideal for your 16TB storage requirement, and supports SSD caching.
Networking: 1 x 10GbE port built-in, providing high-speed connectivity out of the box, crucial for video editing.
Reliability: Synology’s DSM (DiskStation Manager) is renowned for its stability and user-friendly interface, which will be useful for managing your sync and editing tasks.
Performance: The Xeon processor provides robust performance for both file synchronization and direct editing workflows.
Storage Configuration:
Drives: You can populate the NAS with 16TB drives, configured in RAID 5 or RAID 6 for a balance of storage capacity and data redundancy. Brands like Seagate IronWolf Pro or WD Red Pro are reliable choices for NAS environments, offering durability and consistent performance.
SSD Caching: Consider adding SSDs for read/write caching to speed up your editing sessions, especially when working with large video files.
Why These NAS Models?
Performance: Both models offer the processing power and memory needed to handle video editing workloads and maintain fast synchronization across your team.
Flexibility: Whether you go with QNAP’s expandability or Synology’s robust and intuitive DSM, you’ll have a system that can adapt to your needs as your project progresses.
Reliability: These models are designed for 24/7 operation, ensuring your data is always accessible, and your sync tasks are uninterrupted.