ASK NC
First Nas after Home Server - Printable Version

+- ASK NC (https://ask.nascompares.com)
+-- Forum: Q&A (https://ask.nascompares.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Before you buy Q&A (https://ask.nascompares.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: First Nas after Home Server (/showthread.php?tid=10623)

First Nas after Home Server - Enquiries - 03-27-2024

Hi,
I am looking for a NAS for last two years to replace my HP MicroServer Gen7 with OMV (Docker installed with PLEX,Jellfin and Homeassistant) but could not able to decide which one can solve my requirements.
With NAS, I want to start to backup my photos and videos and share with my family. while as hobby I like to create VWs and try out new solutions like linux distros, hacintosh etc, to see what new.
My confusions;
- Do I need 2 bay or 4-5 bay solution? (Maybe I can get more powerful 2-bay NAS for 4-Bay price)
- After read your reviews and watching your videos, I start think to go to Synology or QNAP solutions while my understanding that software is more critical. But mainly those solution has 4 or 8 gb rams and this confuses me. As an example I want to create a VM with 8 gb and the NAS already have 4 GB. Also if I create multiple VMs what will happen.
- Also local file-server...
-Currently looking ds923+, TS-673 and new UGREEN.
Could you please help me?
Best regards,
Özay ÖZCAN

RE: First Nas after Home Server - ed - 03-28-2024

It's great to hear about your interest in transitioning to a NAS setup! Given your requirements and interests, here are some considerations:

Number of Bays: Since you're coming from an HP MicroServer Gen7, which likely has multiple drive bays, you might find the flexibility of a 4-5 bay NAS more suitable. This will give you room for storage expansion and RAID configurations for data protection.

Synology vs. QNAP: Both Synology and QNAP offer robust NAS solutions with user-friendly interfaces and a wide range of applications. Since you're already familiar with Docker and virtualization, you might appreciate the flexibility of both platforms. Synology's DSM and QNAP's QTS operating systems are both feature-rich and offer similar functionalities, so the choice ultimately comes down to personal preference.

RAM Consideration: When it comes to running VMs on your NAS, having ample RAM is essential. While some NAS models come with 4GB of RAM, many are expandable, allowing you to upgrade the RAM later if needed. However, for running multiple VMs simultaneously, you might want to consider NAS models with higher RAM capacities or models that support RAM expansion.

Specific Models: The DS923+, TS-673, and UGREEN NAS are all worth considering. The DS923+ is a powerful Synology NAS with a good balance of performance and features. The TS-673 from QNAP offers similar capabilities with additional PCIe expansion options. The UGREEN NAS is an interesting newcomer that may offer good value for your budget.

Given your budget and requirements, I'd recommend comparing the specifications, features, and user reviews of these models to see which one aligns best with your needs. Additionally, consider factors such as future expandability, compatibility with your existing setup, and the availability of software applications that you intend to use.